Thursday, October 30, 2008

Vibe

I've had a hard time explaining what it is about Barack Obama that makes me not only want to vote for him, but believe in him. Of course, I agree with most of his policies. And for those I don't agree with him on, I know that John McCain wouldn't have anything better to offer. But I've felt much more connected in this election than I have in the last two (those I could have voted in).

My friend Maria gave me her Vibe magazine to read, because the editor, Danyel Smith, had once again written her endorsement for Obama, and he had written a letter back to Vibe readers. Her entire letter is here: http://www.vibe.com/magazine/editors_letter/2008/10/the_endorsement_vibe_magazine/

What really struck me though is this one sentence:
"We value freedome and aspire to be better than we are, and to live in a country that will be better than it is."

I think this sums up why Obama appeals to me so much. It's not about what he can get done in Washington, because no President ever has the power to do everything he wants (and honestly, that's a good thing). But his appeal is in what he wants to do, not only for the country, but for the younger generation who are finally seeing someone who gets them.

No comments: